Khichdi is the most popular, oldest, simplest Indian meal and a healthy comfort food. From Birbal ki Khichdi to Guinness world records, this humble dish has many facts and stories. It’s easy to digest and has porridge like consistency. It could be a staple food at home kitchen or a regular fixture at Michelin star restaurant. There are many variations of khichdi and feel free to use your creativity with various lentils or grains or spices with this basic recipe. This dish primarily reminds us the first food that comes to mind when someone is not well.
White Rice (Sona masoori variety) – 1 Cup
Yellow moong lentils- 1/2 cup
Spices to use : Masala dabba spice mix
– 1tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of Coriander-Cumin powder, 2-3 crushed Garlic, Cumin seeds, Salt
Optional: Asafeotida, Cilantro black pepper powder
Oil : Ghee or Coconut oil
Cooking pot : Pressure cooker / Instant pot
-Mix rice, lentils in a pot first . Wash it properly and drain water.
-Then transfer to the Instant pot or pressure cooker and add 2-3 cups of water.
– Add little oil, salt and turmeric to it and close the lid.
-Cook in instant pot with high pressure setting on manual for 8 mts. Let the pressure release naturally.
– Take a sauce pan and prepare to temper. See my post on tempering .
-Add ghee, cumin seeds and cook on medium flame until the seeds crackle.
-Add crushed garlic and asafoetida . Keep an eye on garlic from getting too brown.
-Add the coriander-cumin powder, black pepper powder.
-Add 2 cups of water and salt it enough like you would salt for boiling pasta and heat on medium flame. Stir it and let the spices simmer in hot water.
– Once the khichdi is cooked then open the instant pot and carefully add the spiced hot water to the khichdi. Garnish with Cilantro.
– Turn your saute mode and stir it to mix well.
– After couple minutes it will turn into a porridge like consistency. This soft consistency makes it easy to eat and digest. Coriander powder has lot of fiber and cumin helps with digestion.
– Serve hot with yogurt or eat as is.