Peanut Bread with Bhogi Bhaaji
This flatbread is made with peanut -jaggery -sesame -coconut as winter special on the occasion of Lohri / Bhogi which falls on Jan13th .Its served along with the other traditional meals that are cooked on next day and one of them is called “bhogi chi bhaaji”( a marathi traditional winter stew). My mom is from West of India(Mumbai) and my dad is from South India. The best part was to celebrate the same festival with different names, traditions and lots of traditional food.
Traditionally on lohri (bonfire night ) we eat sesame and jaggery treats. Tweaking my mom’s recipe I made these flatbreads using peanuts, jaggery, dessicated coconut, rose petals and cardamom.
“Bhogi chi bhaaji”- meaning mix veg from all winter harvests is a traditional stew that we make today with all the harvest in India. This stew is a mix of various local and regional vegetables. Some of them are only found in India and are now available in the freezer section of the Indian grocery. The recipe of this stew will be in another post.
– 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup Peanuts
-1/2 cup desiccated sweetened coconut
-1/4 sesame seeds
-1/4 cup jaggery powder or 3 tbps sugar
-1tsp cardamom powder
– 1/4 cup water
Optional : few sprinkles of rose petals
Equipment needed: Food processor, Rolling pin, Board, Griddle
– Process everything together without the flour. Once the peanuts are processed to powder then add the flour.
– add little water from time to time and keep processing until it turns into firm dough. Do not add too much water.
-Once the dough is ready then take it out from food processor .
– Use your hands and roll it onto some flour on a clean surface on the kitchen counter or a board so its not sticking to surface.
-Now roll it in some oil pull out little section to make into firm balls. See pictures below.
-Heat a griddle on high heat.
-Now roll the balls into a flatbread using a rolling pin. Dab some oil on the surface of flatbread.
– Heat on the griddle for less than 15 sec and flip to other side. Heat for another 15-20 sec and take it out of the heat.
– Repeat for other dough balls .