An experiment for the love of sweets which turned out to be delicious and healthy. For desserts, Besan (chick pea flour) makes an excellent binder. It is also gluten free and healthy option. Coconut adds a little bit of nuttiness to this fudge. Gulkand (rose petal preserves) with Jaggery (molasses crystals) adds the sweetness and slight chewiness when it caramelizes. When you combine these ingredients it turns into a delicious fudge which is also healthy, vegan and gluten free.
1/2 Cup Besan
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbps Gulkand (rose petal preserve)
2 tbsp Jaggery powder
3 tsbp coconut oil / Ghee (clarified butter if not vegan)
Optional: Pistachios/ nuts (crushed)
-Heat a pan on medium low heat.
– Add the coconut oil/ ghee and roast the besan.
-Keep stirring the besan flour until it turns darker. make sure the heat is on reduced flame and it doesn’t burn.
-Once its roasted and ghee/ oil mixed well, it will appear crumbly and darker. Turn the stove off.
-In a small saucepan add the Jaggery powder, coconut, gulkand and little water. Then heat for 30 sec- 1 mt on the low heat to melt the jaggery and gulkand and mix it well.
– Now add this to the roasted besan and turn one the pan with besan on low heat again.
– Stir it for a minute and turn the heat off. Arrange it on any dish for desired shape. I transferred it to a small rectangular glass container. Garnish with pistachios. Press it down with a spoon.
– Let it cool for 10 mts. Then you can cut the fudge into square bars or any shape you want.
-Use fine chickpea flour.
– You can use Almond flour and try this too.
-Ghee gives much better flavor but use Coconut oil as vegan substitute.
Quick way to make ghee:
Melt 1/4 stick of butter on low heat in the same pan you are going to use to roast the Besan. Then as the milk solids seperates in a minute, you can turn the heat off, strain the liquid into a glass bowl. Discard the brown residue and milk solid froth. Use the clarified liquid which is ghee.