-1 lb Lamb/ goat meat (cleaned + cut)
-1/4 cup dry coconut powder
-2 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
-1 onion (chopped)
-2 tbsp hand crushed ginger garlic paste for better taste
-1 hot Indian green chili chopped
-1/2 cup together coriander & mint leaves chopped
-2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
Spices : My masala dabba spice + smita’s garam masala (read my post on these)
1-2 tsp red chili powder, 1tsp tumeric powder, 1 tsp smita’s garam masala or 3-4 tsp of store bought garam masala
Marinade additional ingredients: 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2tsp tumeric powder, salt to taste, 1 tbsp yogurt, 1/2 lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Oil: any type but very less as Mutton and coconut will also release the oil.
Equipment : Instant pot for cooking soft and tender or pressure cooker or dutch oven
Optional: Anything listed under here is optional
-Poppy seeds, ginger garlic in marinade, coriander , mint, curry leaves
– Marinade the mutton for at least few hours with listed marinate mix. For best results you need atleast 24-48 hrs but if you are making in instant pot then 4-5 hrs is fine too.
-If you have mortar and pestle then i recommend crushing the ginger garlic in it. Else blend it along with the gravy paste as listed below.
-Prepare the gravy next .
– For gravy, first roast the coconut powder on medium low heat in a pan and keep stirring. Then add poppy seeds and roast for a minute more.
– Now turn the heat off and grind the powder with little water to make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
-Now wash and chop onion, green chilies , coriander and mint leaves
– Turn the instant pot on saute mode
– add very little oil enough to saute the onions.
– while onions are about translucent then add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
-Once onions are brown then add in the sequence listed the masala dabba spices first, then garam masala, then ginger garlic paste , chopped coriander leaves , mint leaves ,followed by the gravy paste.
– Now let it cook for a minute or two and then add mutton.
– Saute it all until the oil is oozing out .
– Now add 2 cups of water .
– Close the lid and cancel the saute mode. On manual mode choose high pressure cooking for 16-17 mts .
– Let the pressure release naturally.
Garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves.
Check my instagram for interesting story about Mutton curry .
– Use the same method for pressure cooker.
-If you are using dutch oven then add more water and let it cook for atleast 30-45 mts.