No sear scallops
No Sear ScallopsDifficulty: Easy
Scallops are so delicate and beautiful to cook with. Well seared scallops make the dish stand out on a plate. But i am always hustling when it’s time to feed the family and looking to minimize the steps in a recipe. Instead of searing the scallops, i cooked it delicately using the key techniques listed below that comes together in 6-7 mts. The flavor is enhanced by ghee, curry leaves and ease of using Smita’s Cookery Veggie Spice.
1 lb Scallops cleaned
2 medium tomatoes chopped
2 tbsp Ghee or butter
Salt to taste
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 thai green chilies
1 cup chopped spring onions
- Use a wok if you want more broth. Heat a wok on medium and add ghee or butter to it
- Once hot then temper with the chopped spring onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Meaning just add these to the oil and it will splutter. Stir for a minute
- Add the scallops one by one carefully to the wok
- Keep the heat on medium and let it cook for 1 -2 mts. Do not cover with lid.
- Scallops are delicate so avoid poking them or moving them around. No need to stir.
- Add Smita’s Cookery Veggie Spice , Salt.
- Now throw the chopped tomatoes on top of scallops without stirring. The idea is to have chunks of tomatoes cooked but visible
- Let it cook for 6-7 mts without putting the lid.
- No need to add any water. The tomato and scallops will make a delicious broth.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot over rice with the broth.
- Use a wok or pot for broth and from drying it out. Use Heirloom tomatoes for better broth
- If you don’t have veggie spice, you can use any spices you prefer but the idea is to add some heat, sour, some flavor to the broth which is all in the veggie Spice.