Vegan Pakora Waffles
Pakora WafflesCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
Monsoon, Crispy Pakoras and Chai – This would be an ideal evening when someone says “Pakora”.
Since my childhood, eating deep fried food triggered ghastly migraines the next day. So I couldn’t eat fried food much.
After many failed experiments and trials with all sort of flours and measurements, I was able to hit the sweet, tangy and crispy spot . I was able to turn the deep fried Pakoras into genius tasty and healthy breakfast Waffles!! How cool is that?
Bonus! This recipe is all Vegan and gluten free (if you take out the Semolina) and filling. You can add as many as veggies you want. Video Recipe included below.
Chickpea flour (Besan) – 1/2 Cup
Rice Flour- 1/2 Cup
Semolina (Sooji) Optional – 1 tbsp..
1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Chole Masala
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds (Optional)
1/4 tsp Carom seeds (Optional)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. Yogurt
1/4 Cup Water
- Veggies (Choose from as many or as few)
Sliced Onions (1/4 Onion)
Thin Sliced or diced Potatoes (1/2 Small potato)
Shredded Cabbage (1/4 Cup)
- Dry Ingredients
- In a large bowl mix all the flours and spices.
- Mix well using a fork until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Wet Ingredients
- Add the oil, yogurt and mix the batter until it looks smooth. You may see little lumps and that will dissolve once you add water.
- Slowly add the water little by little and keep mixing the batter until it looks like smooth. Be careful to not add too much water.
- Once the batter is mixed well add rest of the water and mix into a smooth batter and keep aside.
- Add veggies
- Select the veggies you would like to add to the Pakoras and slice them thin and evenly.
- Add the veggies to the batter and give it a stir.
- Waffle iron
- Meanwhile turn the waffle maker on and brush it with little oil to grease it.
- Carefully drop the batter on all the sections of the waffle maker and cook it for at least 10 mts to achieve the crispy texture.
- Enjoy with a side of tamarind-date chutney .
- Instead of Chole masala you can add dry Mango powder, Black salt or just 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- Even if Waffle iron light turns green, let the Pakora waffle cook for at least 10 mts.
- The yogurt to the batter adds some fats to it which is why you wouldn’t need much oil to this recipe. It also adds to the tanginess to the pakoras
If you like this recipe please do leave a comment or share on your social media. More such recipes on my Instagram @smitascookery .
Comments are closed.